Monday 16 June 2014

Cozy Tullamore

On Friday morning I went to visit the St Mary's Youth Centre for the first time. Bill explained me my tasks and showed me the building. I have my working place in his office. I have my own computer and I can use all the facilities of the Centre. My tasks will be:

- To take the phone calls when Bill is out of the office
- To prepare some materials about the Erasmus + Program for the youngsters of Tullamore
- To write this blog to share my experience 
- To collaborate with the local newspaper 
- And If I want to, out of my working hours, I can participate in other activities of the Centre

After that I came back home for lunch and I spent the afternoon playing with Ednan, Roberta's grandson. He is 6 years old and he has two small twin sisters (excuse me, too many names in a few days!). 

At night I went to the Centre. Every Friday night they have a Bingo. I thought it wasn't a big thing but you will be surprised: the town takes it very serious. They can win more than 5000 €! There were around 400 people and the place was a mess when it finished! So I helped Bill, Rut and other workers and volunteers of the Centre to tidy up everything. 

Then I went to have a few drinks with Rut and three volunteers. Dylan is 18, Stephen 21 and Anthony 22. We had a fantastic night. Anthony is really funny! I couldn't stop laughing. 

Peter, the volunteer from Hungary who will live and work with Rut for the next 12 months, arrived on Saturday morning. He is 26 and he seems nice! Besides I met Laia, a spanish 24-year-old girl from Barcelona who is as au-pair in Mullingar in Roberta's daughter house. We went together to see the town. It looks lovely. There is a park, a canal to have a walk along, a mall and so many pubs (of course, this is Ireland). 

At night, Peter, Rut and I went to have a beer and watched the football game England - Italy. (I won't comment the Spain - Netherlands, there is no need to, isn't it?). 

Yesterday was the perfect Sunday (it was Father's Day in Ireland!). Tom, a man who works in the Centre, took us to the Sculpture Park. It was an amazing place full of art, nature and nice people. We took a free bike in the entrance and we spent two hours cycling around.

Peter, Rut and I 

Enjoying green Ireland

Tom, I, Rut and Peter

After that we went to an open space specially prepared for people who want to fly their own planes and helicopters. I had never been to something similar!

The entrance

Flying plane 

There were beautiful ones! 

Tom invited us for dinner at his home to complete a perfect day. Erika, her daughter, had prepared an Irish dinner for us. It was delicious (sorry, I forgot to take a picture, I just have one of the dessert!). We finished the day just relaxing in the garden.

Mmm delicious!  

Relaxing time after dinner 

Who said rain?

Today I'm starting my internship... I will tell you how it is going! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment