Friday 13 June 2014

My first day

Finally I'm here! I still can't believe it. After many weeks expecting I am in Tullamore (Co. Offaly, Ireland) for expending 8 weeks doing an internship. Oh wait... Maybe I'm being rude. Let me introduce myself. My name is Silvia, I'm 25 years old and I'm Spanish. My home town is A Coruña, a small city in Galicia (the region of the northwest of the country). I studied Journalism at Santiago de Compostela's University and then I did my Masters in Communication.

You may be thinking: what's Silvia doing in Tullamore? Why isn't she working in her country? Well it's because of the unemployment situation in Spain, specially for the youngsters. I finished my studies in 2012 and after that I found a grant which gave me the opportunity of working in an Association during 7 months. Unluckily the Association didn't have enough economical support to hire me so I started looking for a job again in July 2013. 

After months waiting the Association told me that I could do a short-term EVS (European Voluntary Service) in Bulgaria if I wanted to. Obviously I said yes and I spent October 2013 in Sliven, a tiny Bulgarian village, with other 16 volunteers from Georgia, Turkey, Romania, Italy and Latvia. It has been one of the best experiences in my life so far.

The other volunteers and I visiting Tryavna (Bulgaria)

Me hitch-hiking in Plovdiv

When I came back home I was again fighting against unemployment. I only got two job opportunities: I worked during Christmas in a supermarket doing a promotion of chocolates and I also worked in a school bus two hours a day during school time. Obviously it wasn't how I had figured out my life after College but I could get some money and I had a schedule in my life. 

Then I found 'Galeuropa', the grant I'm working with. I didn't hesitate and I applied. It's a grant which wants to give an opportunity to young people from Galicia whose have a degree and don't have a job. So 'Galeuropa' provides you the money to live during 8 weeks in a foreign country. Don't think it was an easy thing to get... I applied for it in March, I had an English exam and an interview on April and then I waited until June to know if I will be one of the lucky ones. Besides I had to choose a country and to find the company where I will do the internship. I decided to come to Ireland because people say it's similar to my region and I really want to improve my English. So I was searching on the Internet like crazy during days for companies, I prepared a creative CV and a motivation letter and after that I started to contact the companies. 

The St Mary's Youth Centre was the first one interested on receiving me and since the beginning it was my first option too. Bill, the manager, offered me the opportunity of working in the Centre and he also contacted a local newspaper and Leargas - the Irish National Agency of Erasmus + Program - so I could collaborate with them too. As you can see it looked like the best chance for me because: 

1. I could continue working with Erasmus + Program and the EVS (like I did in the Association in Spain)
2. I could collaborate with the local newspaper and improve my skills as a journalist
3. I could take part in other activities of the Centre in my free time, like summer camps for example

And obviously my English could get better too! So Bill gave me all the facilities since the beginning - he also found the accommodation! - and we decided I will come in June asap. After some difficulties with the paperwork and the organization of grant's direction, three days ago I got the YES. Yeah, I've prepared everything in two days! 

I had my flight to Dublin yesterday afternoon and then I took a bus from the airport to Kilbeggan where Bill collected me. He came with Rut, a Spanish volunteer who will be in Tullamore for a year. We went together to the Round House, the place were I'm staying. It's a Georgian style house from the XVIII Century - it is 268 years old - and it's lovely. Roberta is the housekeeper and there is another woman living there too, Mary.

The Round House, my home for the next two months

My room is like a dream. It's huge and spotless. I have a big bed, a wardrobe, a dressing table, a rocking chair... and I also have a heart! It's much better than I had imagined. So I unpacked my luggage and I went to sleep because I was exhausted. And it brings us today, my first day in Tullamore. I will keep you up to date! 

No comments:

Post a Comment