Friday 4 July 2014

Things I hate/love from Ireland

Today I want to talk to you about the things I don't like or I really like of this beautiful and amazing country. As you already know, I love my life here but you also know there's no place like home! 

I HATE THAT... 

1. "Everybody" smokes

Many Spanish people smoke, but here I think the situation is much more serious. According to the law, nobody can buy cigarettes if they are under eighteen. But you can see everywhere teenagers smoking. Ok, I understand that it is something that they grew up with. Anyway, nobody seems to be worry about that and they don't care that it is an expensive - one packet is around 10€! - and unhealthy habit. 

2. Many of them eat fast food daily

Rut and I talked about that a few days ago. Many Irish people don't like cooking so they live eating fast food and frozen food. (As you could see, some of them even froze the pasta!). However I think I am lucky because Roberta is great at cooking and she must be the only Irish who hates fast food. So I am eating so much that I will come back to Coruña chubby! 

3. Many Irish girls paint their eyebrows 

Make up is popular in both countries but here I was surprised to see that here many girls paint their eyebrows and they doesn't look real at all. Maybe it is weird just for me because in Spain just old ladies do that. 

4. Irish schedules

Irish people have dinner around 6 pm. Maybe I am weird because I have dinner around 11 pm in my country (it is because my dad works till night so I wait him to have dinner together and see each other). But having dinner at 6... are you kidding me? I am never hungry at this time, but I try to eat with the other people at the Round House to be polite and respect their habits.

Besides on Sundays Irish people have a huge breakfast and then they don't eat until dinner (obviously I love they having dinner at 6 on Sunday because I am usually starving!). The thing is completely different in my country; Sunday is the day when we eat the most I think. We prepare more difficult dishes and we enjoy eating with the family because it is something that most of people can't do during the week.

In addition, Irish pubs close at 2 am. I am not a party animal (at least I don't think so) but I am Spanish and I am use to go out until is dawning. So coming back home at 2 is really strange for me. Now I understand why some "guiris" go crazy when they visit Spain on holidays; they start partying at 7 pm (like Irish people do) and they finish at 7 am (like Spanish people do). Also drinks are cheaper in Spain... So please, stop criticizing foreigners, they just try to live the Spanish live while they can't avoid continuing being Irish/English/etc.

I LOVE THAT...

1. Most of people are kind, polite and generous

You can listen the words "sorry", "excuse me", "thank you", "have a nice day" several hundred of times each day. It is something that doesn't often happen where I come from.

Besides, if you get lost walking around a city, you don't need to ask. They can see in your face the situation you are dealing with and they automatically will ask you "excuse me, can I help you?". I promise. It happened to me several times in Dublin this week - yes, probably I also have orientation problems!

2. Irish care just about being happy

I am sure people gossip here too but it's completely different. In my country many people live worried about other ones lives instead of being worried about solving their own problems. (And I don't want to talk about gossiping on Spanish TV... Junk TV). Here it doesn't happen. Irish people just care about themselves and about people they love. And I have watched TV here and I still haven't found any gossip program.

Moreover, they don't complain about the weather. They don't care if it is raining and they have a trip to the beach. They will go and will have fun as if it was sunny. They don't let anything to ruining their day.

3. They love Spanish people 

When someone ask me where I am from and I say from Spain, their faces show that they love it. Irish people think that Spanish are funny and they love our accent when we speak English - so stop being embarrassed about how you sound speaking English, they love it!

(Specially, I love when I say "I am from Coruña" and they answer... "Oh, yes! Deportivo La Coruña" ♥.)

4. Beer

Everyone from Galicia is proud of Estrella Galicia, our beer, the best one. Don't care what others say or where you travel, we will always love Estrella Galicia the most. But Ireland is a country that loves beer too and don't think everything is around Guinness. Of course, I love Guinness but my favorite beer here as far is Smithwick's.

5. Irish trains are better than ours

I have always listened that everyone envy Spanish trains. Now I wonder why - I actually think that TV just want us to think that. Irish trains are much better. You have free Wi-fi in all of then which is a great thing specially for tourists but also for everyone else.  They are punctual, clean and you have catering in most of them. Oh, and the most important thing is that its workers are polite and friendly, not like the ones in Spanish trains...

6. Their post office works perfectly

I sent a letter to my parents and it was there three days after. My parents send me a letter too and it took ten days. Nothing to add.

7. Hurling

I had never heard about hurling before coming to Ireland but I have discovered that it is a dynamic, quick and lovely sport. I really had fun in the stadium when I went to the Kilkenny-Galway match two weeks ago. It so intense that you need to pay attention every second and I think it is impossible to be quiet when you are watching a game!

8. Irish pubs

I already love them before coming because they are popular abroad too. But going to an original Irish pub is a completely different experience. I love the atmosphere especially because of the living music. There are so many talented people in this country.

9. Irish flag

Personally I don't like Spanish flag. But I think that the Irish is lovely. Besides, my favorite color is green and here everything is green - especially where I live because it is the countryside.

10. Irish accent

I had some Irish teachers in the past and I always loved their accent. (I know there are so many different accents around the country, don't get me wrong!). Probably two months won't be enough time to come back home with an accent but I am trying my best during these weeks.

I hope nobody feels hurt or offended because of what I say in this post. I always write with sense of humor and irony. I love Ireland and Dublin is my favorite city in the world so far - after Coruña of course! What I wanted to show is that there is no a perfect country. Each one has positive and negative things and you appreciate that especially when you move abroad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment